Dentistry is a profession where experts diagnose and treat teeth and other health issues in the mouth. Dentists, also known as dental surgeons, also offer advice on diet, cleaning your mouth, flossing and the use of dental health products. Many products intended for dental use may be too harsh or inappropriate for you because of other health concerns. Therefore, it is always better to see a dentist as they are in a position to help you select the best product for you. Dentists are instrumental in ensuring that your dental hygiene is well taken care of during your regular check-ups. His assistants may do this.
Dentistry in Glasgow
Dentistry in Glasgow is some of the best of the world, with many dentists in Glasgow are general practitioners, and they can handle a wide variety of dental problems and needs. This may include gum diseases, tooth decay, tooth removal and general mouth health. There are several other dental specialist groups, including;
- Orthodontists – They are specialist dentists who deal with straightening the teeth and improving the dental structure appearance using aligners and braces.
- Paediatric dentists – Specialists focusing on children and special-needs dental problems.
- Periodontists– Focus on treating gum diseases and the bones that support the teeth.
- Prosthodontists – Deal with replacing removed and missing teeth with crowns and bridges which are permanent or the temporary solutions like a denture.
- Oral pathologist – They deal with diagnosing diseases of the mouth.
- Oral/maxillofacial radiologists – They use radio imaging technology to diagnose diseases in the head and neck regions.
- Dental public health – they study dental epidemics and promote good health and disease prevention.
- Endodontics – they deal with root canal problems and diseases that affect the dental pulp.
What dentists do during a check-up visit
It is advisable for everyone to have regular dental check-ups to ensure good oral health and to enable diseases to be discovered in their early stages. Here are some of the things that you should expect during dental visits.
- Dental X-rays – These are frequently taken and are a routine dental procedure. X-rays reveal cavities in your teeth, the supporting bone’s health and the position of developing teeth in newborns and children.
- Oral examination – a routine oral exam will be carried out to look out for signs of decay and softening of the enamel and visible cavities. Bite evaluation may be carried out too to look out for problems that may affect your dental health. The dentist will also determine if you need to see an orthodontist at this stage.
- Cancer screening – it is very important to be screened regularly for oral cancer. If it is discovered early enough, it can be successfully treated before it can spread to other body parts. The dentist will examine your neck, lips, mouth tissues and the neck surface to look for unusual signs.
- Fluoride treatment – This is done to help the enamel strengthen up especially for children as they are more prone to cavities. It is also done on adults to minimize tooth decay, and it’s done after cleaning of the teeth.
Dentists also give instructions on proper brushing and flossing methods and techniques. This is important to keep the teeth clean and healthy. They also advise foods and proper diet. If you’re looking for someone to take care of your dentistry needs in Glasgow go to Berkeley Clinic.